Hanna Instruments HI96831 Digital Refractometer for Ethylene Glycol Analysis
The HI96831 is a tough, portable digital refractometer made for measuring the percentage volume and freezing point of solutions based on ethylene glycol. The HI96831 offers a high degree of accuracy (0.2% volume and 0.5 °C freezing point) and a straightforward operation that consistently produces trustworthy findings.
All values are presented with a 1.5 second response time and automatically adjusted for temperature fluctuations. The stainless steel well and sealed flint glass prism are both simple to clean. Simply clean with a gentle towel to get ready for the subsequent sample.
- Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Sealed stainless steel well with high-grade optical prism made of flint glass
- Fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
The refractive index is measured by the HI96831 Digital Refractometer to ascertain the percentage volume and freezing points of ethylene glycol-based solutions. In glycol cooling systems for industrial applications, ethylene glycol is used. In glycol chillers, it’s crucial to maintain the proper proportion of glycol since an improper percentage can cause the system to freeze and burst, while an excessive amount will decrease the system’s efficiency.
The device transforms a sample’s refractive index to percentage volume or freezing point. These conversions are based on accepted worldwide standards for temperature compensation and unit conversion for glycol solutions (e.g. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 87th Edition). In the field or the lab, the HI96831 is a simple-to-use instrument for calculating the freezing point and percent volume of ethylene glycol solutions.
- Designed for ethylene glycol analysis
- Automatic Temperature Compensation
- 0 – 100% Volume range with ±0.2% accuracy
- 0 to -50 °C freezing point range with ±0.5 °C accuracy
The temperature range for freezing point is 0.0 to -50.0 °C, or 0 to 58% by volume. When the amount of ethylene glycol is greater than 78% by volume, the display blinks the freezing point. The freezing point is at its coldest when the indicator reads “LO” (below -50 °C).
Making a Standard Solution
To make an Ethylene Glycol Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- Volumetrically add X mL of high purity ethylene glycol (CAS #: 107-21-1; MW 62.068) to a 100 mL Grade A volumetric flask.
- Use distilled or deionized water to bring the flask close to the total volume, mix, allow the solution to return to room temperature.
- Once the solution has returned to room temperature use distilled or deionized water to bring the total volume to 100 mL. Mix solution well before use.
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays measurements and temperature readings simultaneously
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
IP65 water resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
|Digital Refractometer for Ethylene Glycol Analysis – HI96831
|Ethylene Glycol Range
|0 to 100%
|Ethylene Glycol Resolution
|Ethylene Glycol Accuracy
|0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F)
|±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F)
|automatic between 0 and 40°C (32 to 104°F)
|after three minutes of inactivity
|9V / approximately 5000 readings
|192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”)
|420 g (14.8 oz.)
|Refractometer Light Source
|Minimum Sample Volume
|100 μL (to cover prism totally)
|stainless steel ring and flint glass prism
|approximately 1.5 seconds
|HI96831 is supplied with battery and instruction manual