Hanna Instruments HI96832 Digital Refractometer for Propylene Glycol Analysis
The HI96832 is a tough, portable digital refractometer made for measuring the percentage volume and freezing point of solutions based on propylene glycol. The HI96832 offers a high degree of accuracy (0.2% volume and 0.5 °C freezing point) and a straightforward operation that consistently produces trustworthy findings.
All readings have an automatic 1.5 second reaction time and temperature change compensation. The stainless steel well and sealed flint glass prism are both simple to clean. Simply clean with a gentle towel to get ready for the subsequent sample.
- Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Sealed stainless steel well with high-grade optical prism made of flint glass
- Fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
The HI96832 Digital Refractometer uses refractive index measurement to ascertain the percent volume and freezing points of solutions based on propylene glycol. Glycol chillers and dispensing systems made for use in culinary applications, such beer and wine, employ propylene glycol. In glycol chillers, it’s crucial to maintain the proper proportion of glycol since an improper percentage can cause the system to freeze and burst, while an excessive amount will decrease the system’s efficiency.
The device transforms a sample’s refractive index to percentage volume or freezing point. These conversions are based on accepted worldwide standards for temperature compensation and unit conversion for glycol solutions (e.g. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 87th Edition). On the factory floor or in the lab, the HI96832 is a simple-to-use instrument for calculating the freezing point and percent volume of propylene glycol solutions.
- Designed for propylene glycol analysis
- Automatic Temperature Compensation
- 0 – 100% Volume range with ±0.3% accuracy
- 0 to -50 °C freezing point range with ±0.5 °C accuracy
Freezing point is displayed as a temperature from 0.0 to -51.0 °C corresponding to 0-60 % by volume. When the display shows “LO”, the freezing point is at a minimum (below -51 °C).
Making a Standard Solution
To make an X % Propylene Glycol Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- volumetrically add X mL of high purity propylene glycol (CAS #: 57-55-2; MW 76.09) to a 100 mL Grade A volumetric flask.
- Use distilled or deionized water to bring the flask close to the total volume, mix, allow the solution to return to room temperature.
- Once the solution has returned to room temperature use distilled or deionized water to bring the total volume to 100 mL. Mix solution well before use.
|Propylene Glycol||Total Volume||Expected Freezing Point Value|
|10% V/V||10.00 mL||100.00 mL||-3.4 °C (25.9 °F)|
|40% V/V||40.00 mL||100.00 mL||-21.3 °C (-6.3 °F)|
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays measurement and temperature readings simultaneously
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
IP65 water resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
|Product Name||Digital Refractometer for Propylene Glycol Analysis – HI96832|
|Propylene Glycol Range||0 to 100%|
|Propylene Glycol Resolution||0.1 %|
|Propylene Glycol Accuracy||±0.3 %|
|Temperature Range||0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F)|
|Temperature Resolution||0.1°C (0.1°F)|
|Temperature Accuracy||±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F)|
|Temperature Compensation||automatic between 0 and 40°C (32 to 104°F)|
|Automatic Shut-Off||after three minutes of inactivity|
|Battery Type/Life||9V / approximately 5000 readings|
|Dimensions||192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”)|
|Weight||420 g (14.8 oz.)|
|Refractometer Light Source||yellow LED|
|Minimum Sample Volume||100 μL (to cover prism totally)|
|Sample Cell||stainless steel ring and flint glass prism|
|Measurement Time||approximately 1.5 seconds|
|Ordering Information||HI96832 is supplied with battery and instruction manual|