Hanna Instruments HI96822 Digital Refractometer for Seawater Analysis
- Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Sealed stainless steel well with high-grade optical prism made of flint glass
- Fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
By measuring the refractive index to ascertain the salinity of both natural and artificial seawater, including brackish, ocean water, or saltwater aquariums, the HI96822 Digital Refractometer reduces the ambiguity inherent with mechanical refractometers. The device transforms a sample’s refractive index into PSU, ppt, and specific gravity. The physical characteristics of saltwater were used in these conversions, which were based on reputable scientific articles (not sodium chloride). The HI96822 is a simple-to-use instrument for determining the salinity of natural and synthetic seawater, whether in a lab, field setting, or at home.
- Designed for seawater salinity analysis (not NaCl)
- Automatic Temperature Compensation
- High accuracy measurements displayed as PSU, ppt and specific gravity
Making a Standard Solution
Sodium Chloride solutions can be used to check the accuracy of the meter. The table below lists two Sodium Chloride solutions and their expected ppt Seawater value.
To make a Standard NaCl Solution (g/100 g), follow the procedure below
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- To make an X NaCl solution weigh out X grams of high purity dried Sodium Chloride (CAS #: 7647-14-5: MW 58.44) directly into the container.
- Add distilled or deionized water to the beaker so the total weight of the solution is 100g.
Example Standard NaCl solution:
|NaCl (g)||Water (g)||Total||Expected Seawater value (ppt)|
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays measurement and temperature readings simultaneously
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
IP65 water resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
|Product Name||Digital Refractometer for Seawater Analysis – HI96822|
|Salinity (PSU) Range||0 to 50 PSU|
|Salinity (PSU) Resolution||1 PSU|
|Salinity (PSU) Accuracy||±2 PSU|
|Salinity Range||0 to 150 ppt|
|Salinity Resolution (ppt)||1 ppt|
|Salinity Accuracy (ppt)||±2 ppt|
|Specific Gravity Range||1.000 to 1.114 Specific Gravity (20/20)|
|Specific Gravity Resolution||0.001 Specific Gravity (20/20)|
|Specific Gravity Accuracy||±0.002 Specific Gravity (20/20)|
|Temperature Range||0 to 80°C (32 to 176°F)|
|Temperature Resolution||0.1°C (0.1°F)|
|Temperature Accuracy||±0.3 °C (±0.5 °F)|
|Temperature Compensation||automatic between 0 and 40°C (32 to 104°F)|
|Automatic Shut-Off||after three minutes of inactivity|
|Battery Type/Life||9V / approximately 5000 readings|
|Dimensions||192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”)|
|Weight||420 g (14.8 oz.)|
|Refractometer Light Source||yellow LED|
|Minimum Sample Volume||100 μL (to cover prism totally)|
|Sample Cell||stainless steel ring and flint glass prism|
|Measurement Time||approximately 1.5 seconds|
|Ordering Information||HI96822 is supplied with battery and instruction manual|