Hanna Instruments pH, Alkalinity, Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, and Cyanuric Acid Photometer – HI97104
The HI97104 is a high-performance portable photometer that measures pH, alkalinity, cyanuric acid, free chlorine, and total chlorine in the water. This meter features an advanced optical system with a reference detector and narrow band interference filters for extremely fast and repeatable measurements.
- There is no need to warm up before taking a measurement.
- Step-by-step instructions are provided in tutorial mode.
- Uses either powder or liquid reagents to save money.
Because of its disinfectant properties, chlorine is a widely used chemical. Free chlorine can exist in two forms, and which form is present depends on the pH. At pH less than 7.6, hypochlorous acid (HOCl) predominates, while at pH greater than 7.6, hypochlorite (OCl-) predominates. Because hypochlorous acid is 100 times more effective as a sanitizer, it is critical for preventing biological growth in water or keeping a swimming pool safe. Total chlorine includes both free chlorine and combined chlorine. Combined chlorine is chlorine that has been bound to nitrogen compounds such as ammonia. Swimming pools contain chlorine, which we can smell and which is irritating to our eyes. To determine how much-combined chlorine is present, subtract the free chlorine measurement from the total chlorine measurement. The HI97104 is intended to measure key swimming pool water quality parameters. In addition to chlorine, these parameters are pH, alkalinity, and cyanuric acid.
The HI97104 features an innovative optical system that provides superior performance in terms of accuracy, repeatability, and measurement time. This small, waterproof meter is extremely user-friendly, with a tutorial mode that guides the user graphically, step by step, through the measurement process. The use of a backlit dot matrix LED enables the use of virtual keys, making the meter’s operation very intuitive, including selecting different methods, reviewing GLP data, recalling the last 50 measurements, and customizing the meter to user preferences.
The HI97104 is completely waterproof, including the cuvette holder, which is designed with ridges to prevent the cuvette from scratching the optical path, and a gasket battery compartment that holds three common AA batteries. The compact design is comfortable in the hand for use in the field or on a benchtop. The LCD measures 71 mm (2.75″) by 37 mm (1.6″) and is backlit for easy viewing in any light.
- LED that generates very little heat
- 8 nm narrowband interference filter that is accurate to +/- 1 nm and offers 25% increase in light efficiency.
- Reference detector that modulates the voltage to LED for consistent light output.
- A concave focusing lens that reduces errors from imperfections in the cuvette
Advanced features include CAL-Check to verify performance, GLP for last calibration date, setup options, and the ability to see all accessories used with the meter.
When enabled, the tutorial mode will guide the user step by step through the measurement process.
Choice of powder or economical liquid reagents for chlorin measurements.
Stable Light Source:
- The internal reference system of the HI97104 photometer compensates for any drifts due to power fluctuations or ambient temperature changes. With a stable source of light, the readings are fast and stable between your blank (zero) measurement and sample measurement.
High-Efficiency Light Source:
- LED light sources offer superior performance compared to tungsten lamps. LEDs have a much higher luminous efficiency, providing more light while using less power. They also produce little heat, which could otherwise affect electronic stability.
- Improved optical filters ensure greater wavelength accuracy and allow a brighter, stronger signal to be received. The end result is higher measurement stability and less wavelength error.
Greater Light Yield:
A focusing lens collects all of the light that exits the cuvette, eliminating errors from imperfections and scratches that may be present in the glass. The use of the convex lens reduces the need for indexing cuvettes.
CAL Check Functionality:
- Hanna’s exclusive CAL Check feature allows for performance verification and calibration of the meter using NIST traceable standards. Our CAL Check standard vials are developed to simulate a specific absorbance value at each wavelength to verify the accuracy of subsequent readings.
Mulitple Measurement Methods:
- Users can select the use of powder reagents supplied in packets or the use of low-cost liquid reagents supplied in a dropper bottle.
Built-in Reaction Timer:
Waiting the proper reaction time is of key importance when performing colorimetric measurements. The countdown timer displays the time remaining until a measurement will be taken, ensuring consistent results between sample measurements and users.
Large Cuvette Size:
- The sample cell of the HI97104 fits a round, glass cuvette with a 25 mm path length. The relatively long path length of the sample cuvette allows the light to pass through more of the sample solution, ensuring accurate measurements even in low absorbance samples.
Intuitive Dot Matrix Display:
- The HI97104 is designed with a backlit, graphic LCD. With virtual keys, a battery status indicator, and error messages. Users will find the meter interface intuitive and easy to read. A dedicated help key provides information relating to the current meter operation and can be used at any stage in the setup or measurement process to show contextual help.
The meter uses three common AA batteries that allow for about 800 measurements to be taken. The auto-off feature automatically shuts off the meter after 15 minutes of inactivity in order to conserve battery life.
|Product Name||pH, Alkalinity, Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, and Cyanuric Acid Photometer – HI97104|
|pH Range||6.5 to 8.5 pH|
|pH Resolution||0.1 pH|
|pH Accuracy||±0.1 pH|
|pH Method||phenol red method|
|Alkalinity Range||0 to 500 mg/L (as CaCO3)|
|Alkalinity Resolution||1 mg/L|
|Alkalinity Accuracy||±5 mg/L ±5% of reading at 25 °C|
|Alkalinity Method||colorimetric method|
|Free Chlorine Range||0.00 to 5.00 mg/L (as Cl2)|
|Free Chlorine Resolution||0.01 mg/L|
|Free Chlorine Accuracy||±0.03 mg/L ±3% of reading at 25 °C|
|Total Chlorine Range||0.00 to 5.00 mg/L (as Cl2)|
|Total Chlorine Resolution||0.01 mg/L|
|Total Chlorine Accuracy||±0.03 mg/L ±3% of reading at 25 °C|
|Chlorine Method||adaptation of US EPA method 330.5, DPD Colorimetric method|
|Cyanuric Acid Range||0 to 80 mg/L (as CYA)|
|Cyanuric Acid Resolution||1 mg/L|
|Cyanuric Acid Accuracy||±1 mg/L ±15% of reading at 25 °C|
|Cyanuric Acid Method||Adaptation of turbidimetric method|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Source||light emitting diode|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Detector||silicon photocell with narrow band interference filter @ 525 nm and 610 nm|
|Bandpass Filter Bandwidth||8 nm|
|Bandpass Filter Wavelength Accuracy||±1.0 nm|
|Cuvette Type||round 24.6 mm diameter (22 mm inside)|
|Display||128 x 64 pixel B/W LCD with backlight|
|Data Points Stored||50 readings|
|Battery Type/Life||1.5 V AA Alkaline (3 pcs.) / > 800 measurements (without backlight)|
|Automatic Shut-Off||after 15 minutes of inactivity(30 minutes before a READ measurement)|
|Environment||0 to 50 °C (32 to 122 °F);
0 to 100% RH
IP67, floating case
|Weight||380 g (13.4 oz.)|
|Dimensions||142.5 x 102.5 x 50.5 mm (5.6 x 4.0 x 2.0″)|
|Ordering Information||HI97104 is supplied with cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvettes (2), 1.5V AA batteries (3), instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate. /