Hanna Instruments Ammonia Low Range Portable Photometer with CAL Check – HI97700
The HI97700 is an advanced portable photometer for measuring ammonia in water at low levels. This meter features an advanced optical system with a reference detector and narrow band interference filters for extremely fast and repeatable measurements.
- CAL Check the meter’s performance.
- Step-by-step instructions are provided in tutorial mode.
- Show results in a variety of chemical forms.
Ammonia is a common byproduct of protein breakdown that animals excrete as ammonia, urea, or uric acid. Ammonia is a nitrogen source for plant growth that is commonly found in fertilizer. It is a cleaning chemical that is found in glass and floor cleaners. There are two types of ammonia. The ionized form of ammonium (NH4+) and the gaseous form of ammonia (NH3). The pH of the solution determines which form is present, with ammonium predominating at pH levels less than 8. Because most naturally occurring water has a pH of 8 or less, ammonium is the most prevalent form. For aquatic life, as the pH rises, the ammonium is converted to ammonia, which is more toxic because it can diffuse back into the animal. Unless there is some contamination, the concentration in surface and groundwater is very low. Ammonia at concentrations less than 0.4 mg/L is commonly added to drinking water to extend the effectiveness of chlorine as a disinfectant. The HI 97700 is designed to measure ammonia in the low range at levels ranging from 0 to 3.00 mg/L ammonia-nitrogen using the Nessler method. The results can also be displayed as ammonia or ammonium.
The HI97700 has an innovative optical system that provides superior performance in terms of accuracy, repeatability, and measurement time. This small, waterproof metre is extremely user-friendly, with a tutorial mode that guides the user graphically, step by step, through the measurement process. The use of a backlit dot matrix LED enables the use of virtual keys, which makes the meter’s operation very intuitive, such as selecting different units of measure, reviewing GLP data, recalling the last 50 measurements, and customizing the meter to user preferences.
The HI97700 is completely waterproof, including the cuvette holder, which is designed with ridges to prevent the cuvette from scratching the optical path, and a gasket battery compartment that holds three common AA batteries. The compact design is comfortable in the hand for use in the field or on a benchtop. The LCD measures 71 mm (2.75″) by 37 mm (1.6″) and is backlit for easy viewing in any light.
- LED that generates very little heat
- 8 nm narrowband interference filter that is accurate to +/- 1 nm and offers 25% increase in light efficiency.
- Reference detector that modulates the voltage to LED for consistent light output.
- A concave focusing lens that reduces errors from imperfections in the cuvette
Advanced features include CAL-Check to verify performance, GLP for last calibration date, setup options, and the ability to see all accessories used with the meter.
When enabled, the tutorial mode will guide the user step by step through the measurement process.
Setup options for meter personalization include date and time format, language, and enabling the tutorial mode.
Stable Light Source:
- The internal reference system of the HI97700 photometer compensates for any drifts due to power fluctuations or ambient temperature changes. With a stable source of light the readings are fast and stable between your blank (zero) measurement and sample measurement.
High-Efficiency Light Source:
- LED light sources offer superior performance compared to tungsten lamps. LEDs have a much higher luminous efficiency, providing more light while using less power. They also produce little heat, which could otherwise affect electronic stability.
- Improved optical filters ensure greater wavelength accuracy and allow a brighter, stronger signal to be received. The end result is higher measurement stability and less wavelength error.
Greater Light Yield:
- A focusing lens collects all of the light that exits the cuvette, eliminating errors from imperfections and scratches that may be present in the glass. The use of the convex lens reduces the need for indexing cuvettes.
CAL Check Functionality:
- Hanna’s exclusive CAL Check feature allows for performance verification and calibration of the meter using NIST traceable standards. Our CAL Check standard vials are developed to simulate a specific absorbance value at each wavelength to verify the accuracy of subsequent readings.
Multiple Measurement Methods:
- Users can select the use of powder reagents supplied in packets or the use of low cost liquid reagents supplied in a dropper bottle.
Built-in Reaction Timer:
- Waiting the proper reaction time is of key importance when performing colorimetric measurements. The countdown timer displays the time remaining until a measurement will be taken, ensuring consistent results between sample measurements and users.
Large Cuvette Size:
- The sample cell of the HI97700 fits a round, glass cuvette with a 25 mm path length. The relatively long path length of the sample cuvette allows the light to pass through more of the sample solution, ensuring accurate measurements even in low absorbance samples.
Intuitive Dot Matrix Display:
- The HI97700 is designed with a backlit, graphic LCD. With virtual keys, a battery status indicator, and error messages. Users will find the meter interface intuitive and easy to read. A dedicated help key provides information relating to the current meter operation and can be used at any stage in the setup or measurement process to show contextual help.
- The meter uses three common AA batteries that allow for about 800 measurements to be taken. The auto-off feature automatically shuts off the meter after 15 minutes of inactivity in order to conserve battery life
|Product Name||Ammonia Low Range Portable Photometer with CAL Check – HI97700|
|Ammonia Range||0.00 to 3.00 mg/L (as NH3-N)|
|Ammonia Resolution||0.01 mg/L|
|Ammonia Accuracy||±0.04 mg/L ±4% of reading|
|Ammonia Method||Adaptation of the ASTM Manual of Water and Environmental Technology, D1426 Nessler method|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Source||Light emitting diode|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Detector||silicon photocell with narrow band interference filter @ 420 nm|
|Bandpass Filter Bandwidth||8 nm|
|Bandpass Filter Wavelength Accuracy||±1.0 nm|
|Cuvette Type||round, 24.6 mm diameter (22 mm inside)|
|GLP||date, time of last calibration|
|Display||128 x 64 pixel B/W LCD with backlight|
|Logging Type||automatic logging|
|Logging Memory||50 measurement|
|Battery Type/Life||1.5V AA battery (3 pcs.) / > 800 measurements (without backlight)|
|Automatic Shut-Off||After 15 minutes of inactivity (30 minutes before a READ measurement)|
|Environment||0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F); relative humidity|
|Weight||380 g (13.4 oz.) with batteries|
|Dimensions||142.5 x 102.5 x 50.5 mm (5.6 x 4.0 x 2.0″)|
|Ordering Information||HI97700 is supplied with cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvettes (2), 1.5V AA batteries (3), instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate.|
|Kit||HI97700C is supplied with CAL-Check standards, cuvettes (2), caps (2), plastic inserts for cuvette, (2), scissors, cuvette cleaning cloth, 1.5V AA batteries (3), instruction manual, and instrument quality certificate.|